#SFRM - Spring Fling Rural Mural
Spring Fling Rural Mural's popping up around the region and international cities!
SFRM has returned for a second year and this year is pulling out all the stops.
Three murals have been painted in Dumfries and Galloway with our international leg of the project still on going. So what's SFRM all about?...
SFRM was launched in 2014 to huge acclaim and appreciation. The project saw 11 artists collaborate to produce numerous large murals across the region on buildings, vehicles and unusual objects. Upland has again joined forces with urban art specialists, Recoat, to grow and evolve this innovative project. Spring Fling Rural Mural (#SFRM) will see a collective of local, Scottish and international artists paint large-scale murals at rural sites across Dumfries and Galloway for Spring Fling 2016.
Having put out a call for artists and a call for sites, we received an influx of both artists wanting to take part, and site owners coming forward to offer their garages, barns, steadings etc. Since then, three Upland artists have been paired with three Recoat artists, with each pair creating a mural in Dumfries and Galloway and in a city outwith the region. So who will be painting these Murals?
- Upland artist Morag Paterson (photographer & Painter) has been paired up with Amy Whiten & Ali Wyllie of Glasgow based Recoat. This collaboration will be working on a mural in Moniaive at the Craigdarroch Arms Hotel and then at a site in Glasgow!
- Upland Artist Rory Laycock (installation) is working with Berlin based duo 44 Flavours at Mossburn Animal Centre, Hightae and taking SFRM to Berlin and a wider European audience.
- Morag Macpherson (textiles & screenprinting) will be working with Rome based Recoat artist Tellas. This pairing will paint a mural at Meiklewood Farm, Ringford then head to Newcastle where they will take the rural to the city, painting another mural.
1. The Mossburn Animal Centre, Hightae.
The mural will be on the side of a large, stone farm building at this centre for ill-treated and abandoned animals. It is visible from B7020. The creators will be Berlin-based arts duo 44 Flavours (Sebastian Bagge and Julio Rölle) and Dumfries and Galloway visual artist Rory Laycock. Map location here.
2. Meiklewood Farm, Ringford, Castle Douglas.
Tellas, from Rome, will team up with Kirkcudbright-based Morag Macpherson to create a mural on a large steading near the A75. Map location here.
3. Craigdarroch Arms Hotel, Moniaive.
Amy Whiten and Ali Wyllie from Recoat in Glasgow will collaborate with Morag Paterson from near Thornhill. Their mural will be on a gable end at a pub renowned for hosting arts events. Map location here.
4. On the Corner, 253 London Road, Glasgow
Near the historic market of The Barras is a new mural, on a colossal scale by Morag Paterson, Amy Whiten and Ali Wyllie. Map location here.
5. The Toffee Factory, Quayside, Newcastle
The second collaboration for Morag Macpherson and Tellas adorning the walls of the Toffee Factory on Newcastle’s Quayside. Map location here.
6. 44 Flavours, Kurfürstenstraβe 15/16 2. Hinterhof Rechts 10785 Berlin
Rory Laycock and 44 Flavours team up again to create this massive mural in Berlin. Map location here.
Why not check out our Flickr for a gallery of this year's Spring Fling Rural Mural here.
Image: Colin Tennant
History of #SFRM
The 2014 SFRM saw a collective of local, Scottish and international artists paint large-scale murals across Dumfries and Galloway for Spring Fling 2014; adorning buildings, shops, vehicles and a few unexpected things too. You can view these sites, the rural mural map, and information on the artists that took part in the 2014 project here.
The main Mural Sites were:
1. Carrutherstown Barn, DG1 4JX
2. Dalton Pottery Gable End, DG11 1DU
3. Keir Gable End, DG3 4DE
4. Old Torr Gable End, DG7 1QN
5. Newton Stewart Barn, DG8 6QE
6. Stranraer Harbour Electricity Substation, DG9 7RA
The Spring Fling artists who took part are Alice Francis, Hope London, Katharine Wheeler, Amy Winstanley and Denise Zygadlo. They worked with Recoat artists 1010, Will Barras, FiST, Fraser Gray and Amy Whiten & Ali Wyllie on their murals in the run-up to Spring Fling 2014.
More unexpected items were also painted including a boat, a horse's rug and a grain silo.