PRESS RELEASE : Enjoy a Diamond Jubilee Spring Fling21st May 2012
Welcome to Scotland’s premier arts and crafts open studios event in lovely Dumfries and Galloway
Scotland’s premier arts and crafts open studios festival is the perfect way to enjoy the Queen’s diamond jubilee holiday.
This year’s Spring Fling, in the beautiful Dumfries and Galloway region of south-west Scotland, has been specially extended to four days and will take place from 2-5 June as part of the jubilee celebrations. And it’s not just the studios themselves you can enjoy – there’s also a fabulous ceilidh.
Spring Fling listings details
• Spring Fling is Scotland’s premier arts and crafts open studio event.
• In 2012 it runs from runs from Saturday 2nd June to Tuesday 5th June.
• Some 76 artists and craft makers are taking part.
• The event includes everything from painting, pottery and photography through to jewellery, textiles and glassware.
• All the studios taking part open daily from 10.30am to 5pm and are free to visit.
• For full details of the programme and the artists, makers and designers taking part, see the website at www.spring-fling.co.uk.
• The Spring Fling podcast can be seen at http://youtu.be/wmEn8CbIZog
Spring Fling Ceilidh & Hog Roast listings details
Whether you’re a dab hand at Dashing White Sergeant or you’re a ceilidh virgin, all are welcome at the Spring Fling Ceilidh and Hog Roast:
• Saturday 2 June.
• Starts 7pm at Castle Douglas Hall.
• Music by one of the finest ceilidh bands in the land - Two Left Feet; a special performance by Zoe Bestel (she wrote and performed our 2012 soundtrack) and of course, a bar.
• Full Price - £12 (concessions £9). Friends of Spring Fling - £12 for two tickets. Concessions for over 60s, under 15s and full-time students.
• Tickets can be booked online, by email or phoning 01387 213 218.
• For further details see www.spring-fling.co.uk/
About Spring Fling
Taking place in the beautiful Dumfries and Galloway, it’s a fabulous chance to visit the studios and workshops of 76 highly skilled artists and craft makers. The region, in south-west Scotland, is renowned as a hotbed of artistic talent and each year many of its best artists and crafts makers go through a rigorous selection process in the hope of being chosen to be part of the annual Spring Fling event. This is a significant year for Spring Fling – as well as coinciding with the diamond jubilee, the annual event is also celebrating its own 10th birthday.
Leah Black, Spring Fling Manager, said: ‘This is a very special year for us, with the jubilee and our own 10th birthday. In celebration we decided to extend the festival by an extra day to four days and to lay on even more to see and do.
‘Each year we get visitors from all over Scotland, the UK and overseas. In 2012 we hope to welcome even more people as it makes a perfect way to have a relaxing and enjoyable break during the jubilee holiday.
‘Visitors can see some wonderful studios, meet and chat to some incredibly talented artists and crafts makers and see and astonishing variety of work from painting, pottery and photography through to jewellery, textiles and glassware.
‘This is a wonderful region to visit – although it’s in easy reach of most parts of the country, you really feel you are getting away from it all in a place which has pretty towns and villages, great places to stay and to eat, and some of Britain’s loveliest countryside.’
• For enquiries, interviews etc. contact Matthew Shelley on 07786 704299 or Ellen Drummond Ferroni on 07801 820757
• Spring Fling – which has been shortlisted for Best Cultural Event in the prestigious Scottish Thistle Awards 2012 - runs from Saturday 2nd June to Tuesday 5th June.
• Some 76 artists and craft makers are taking part and visitors will be able to see, and buy, a diverse range of outstanding items spanning painting and photography, jewellery and textiles, glass, ceramics and furniture.
• All of the studios taking part open daily from 10.30am to 5pm and free to visit.
• For full details of the programme and the artists, makers and designers taking part, see the website at www.spring-fling.co.uk .
• Free-to-use images are available from the Spring Fling website.