PRESS RELEASE : Spring Fling 10th Birthday is Proving to be a Huge Hit with Visitors3rd June 2012
Artists and visitors have been enjoying a fabulous Jubilee holiday weekend at Spring Fling – Scotland’s premier arts and crafts open studios event.
Large numbers of visitors have been arriving from all round the UK, and as far away as Australia, to see the top quality work on show by 76 artists and craft makers across Dumfries and Galloway.
An incredible range of work is on display - from paintings and drawings to textiles, ceramics, jewellery, glassware, furniture and sculpture.
By Sunday afternoon many of those taking part were already saying that the four-day even was proving a tremendous success.
Caerlaverock-based Keith Brown, renowned for his paintings and drawings of birds on the Solway, said: “It’s been exceptional, with a constant stream of visitors to my studio – and they have all been people who are really interested in what I do.”
Julie Dumbarton, a well-known painter with studios in Langholm, said: “Visitor numbers and sales have been really good. Spring Fling has been absolutely amazing.”
Amy Winstanley, a young painter who has recently moved back to the area after studying and working in East Lothian and Glasgow and is exhibiting in Dumfries, said: “It’s been really good, we have had lots of visitors and their response to my work has been very positive indeed.”
Potter Andrew Adair, whose work can be seen at the Gracefield Arts Centre in Dumfries, said: “There have been lots of visitors and they have been a really enthusiastic and knowledgeable bunch of people – this year’s Spring Fling has been tremendous.”
Porcelain maker and potter Laura Gray, originally from Dumfries but now living in North Devon, is exhibiting for the first time at Spring Fling – her work is on show at the Gracefield Arts Centre. She said: “There’s a real buzz about Spring Fling – I’d heard so much about it and it’s proved to be brilliant – this area really does value and nurture the arts.”
Printmaker Jennifer Smith, who is taking part in Spring Fling for the first time this year, said on Saturday from her Wigtown studio: "I have had a very lovely first day - lots of visitors from far and wide. Looking forward to more tomorrow."
Amanda Simmons, a glassmaker who is based in Castle Douglas, added: "I'm exhausted after an amazing first day of Spring Fling. I had a great response to my new work, brilliant visitors and some empty shelves!"
One of the highlights of this year’s Spring Fling has been a public arts project called Couch which has seen artist Alice Francis wrap an entire Galloway cottage in stretch fabric. The entire is to encourage people to question convention by presenting a work of art which is unexpected, but fun.
Spring Fling Manager, Leah Black, said: “This is Spring Fling’s 10th birthday and the feedback we are getting suggests that it’s proving a huge hit with visitors. There has been so much skill, imagination and artistic talent on display that visitors have been absolutely overwhelmed. We have had people coming from all over the country to enjoy the event, and there has even been a group of three Australians who crossed the world especially for Spring Fling.”
About Spring Fling
• Spring Fling runs from Saturday 2 June to Tuesday 5 June.
• Some 76 artists and craft makers are taking part and visitors will be able to see, and buy, a diverse range of outstanding items spanning painting and photography, jewellery and textiles, glass, ceramics and furniture.
• All of the studios taking part open daily from 10.30am to 5pm and free to visit.
• For full details of the programme and the artists, makers and designers taking part, see the website at www.spring-fling.co.uk .
• Free-to-use pictures of Alice (which should be credited to Rob McDougall) are available at:
• Free-to-use pictures of Coral Beattie (which should be credited to Rob McDougall) are available at:
• Pictures of other artists are available at:
• For enquiries, interviews etc. contact Matthew Shelley on 07786 704299 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 07786 704299 end_of_the_skype_highlighting or Ellen Drummond Ferroni on 07801 820757
• A backgrounder with additional details on Spring Fling accompanies this release.
• Other free-to-use images are available from the Spring Fling website.