PRESS RELEASE: Spring Fling Gets an App16th April 2012
MONDAY 16 APRIL 2012
Spring Fling Gets An App!
New Smart Phone App aims to help visitors make the most of Scotland’s most exciting arts and crafts open studios event
Free iPhone and Android App makes planning personalised tours around Dumfries and Galloway artists’and crafts makers’ studios easy and fun
An established highlight of the Scottish cultural calendar which annually attracts thousands of visitors to Dumfries and Galloway, Spring Fling – the popular arts and crafts open studios event – will be extra special this year. To celebrate its 10th birthday, Spring Fling is being extended to four days - from Saturday 2nd to Tuesday 5th June – coinciding with the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee bank holiday weekend.
And Spring Fling has just introduced a new Smart Phone App to ensure visitors enjoy the best possible experience of the studios of the 76 superbly talented artists and craft makers living and working in the beautiful Scottish region who’ll be opening their studios to the public, showing off their work and talking to visitors about the inspiration behind it.
Visitors will get a chance to meet outstanding painters, potters, photographers, textile designers, glass and ceramic makers and jewellers. All of them had to go through a rigorous selection process to participate in Spring Fling 2012. And the new free App, designed by Edinburgh-based Deko, ensures that planning tours around their studios and workshops is not only simple but can be tailored to personal tastes.
Leah Black, Spring Fling Manager, said: “Our new Smart Phone App is designed to help visitors enjoy Spring Fling to the max by making it straightforward and fun to plan individualised tours around the studios and workshops of the hugely talented artists and craft makers taking part in the event. People can choose their route in different ways – including by type of art and craft or by location.”
Andrew Nisbet of Deko, said: “ We were delighted to work with Spring Fling on developing this App. Spring Fling is a huge success – the most successful event of its type in the country - and we were keen to support its aim of ensuring visitors maximize their time and enjoyment of it. Our brief was to support Spring Fling by making studio tours in the region easy and personalised according to personal preferences ot types of creative media. So if visitors have a specific interest in, say glass-making, they can easily see which studios they will be most interested in visiting. Or, if they are just visiting one particular area of the region on one of the Spring Fling days, they can check out what studios and workshops are nearest for them to drop in on. The App is all about making Spring Fling as accessible as possible – and as enjoyable as possible.
“We’ve already had a great response to the App’s creation and I’m sure that once people start using it, they’ll find it an invaluable aid which allows them to enhance their experience of Spring Fling.”
The Smart Phone App, which is free, can be downloaded from http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/spring-fling-arts-crafts-open/id513866606?mt=8.
Spring Fling is a Community Interest Company. The core event is funded by Dumfries and Galloway Council. The Springboard Project, which the new Smart Phone App is a component of, is funded by The Dumfries and Galloway LEADER Programme and The Holywood Trust. And the public art project is funded by Creative Scotland.
About Spring Fling
• Spring Fling is Scotland’s premier arts and crafts open studio event.
• In 2012 it runs from runs from Saturday 2nd June to Tuesday 5th June.
• Some 76 artists and craft makers are taking part.
• The event includes everything from painting, pottery and photography through to jewellery, textiles and glassware.
• All the studios taking part open daily from 10.30am to 5pm and are free to visit.
• For full details of the programme and the artists, makers and designers taking part, see the website at www.spring-fling.co.uk.
• For more about what to see and do in Dumfries and Galloway see the VisitScotland website at www.visitdumfriesandgalloway.co.uk.
• The iPhone app can be downloaded from http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/spring-fling-arts-crafts-open/id513866606?mt=8. An Android version will follow shortly.
• For enquiries, interviews etc. contact Matthew Shelley on 07786 704299 or Ellen Drummond Ferroni on 07801 820757
• A backgrounder with additional details on Spring Fling accompanies this release.
• Free-to-use images are available from the Spring Fling website.