PRESS RELEASE: Walk, Pedal or Hop Aboard the Marvelous Magical Mystery Tour24th April 2013
Three eco-friendly options to enjoy a great weekend of visual art
There are three great green ways to enjoy the amazing array of visual art and craft at Spring Fling – by foot, bike and mystery tour.
The guided cycle rides, walk and bus tours are a popular way to see studios and meet artists while being able to admire the fabulous Dumfries and Galloway countryside.
Leah Black, Spring Fling Manager, said: “Lots of visitors love Spring Fling because they can meet artists and makers and see fabulous work while enjoying some of Scotland’s loveliest landscapes and sea coasts.
“Our Magical Mystery Tours mean they can relax and let someone else do the driving while they chat to like-minded passengers from all over the country and the world. Tickets are limited, so book early to make sure you get a seat.
“The cycle rides and walks offer another popular option for making the most of Spring Fling in a way that’s environmentally friendly and fun.”
Magical Mystery Tour details
Each trip calls will stop at five or more studios along the special Spring Fling coloured routes (see website and brochure for details).
All start at 10am and return to the same place at around 5pm. The number of tours has been increased to six due to popular demand. Early booking is recommended.
In addition to the official start and end points, all tours leave and end up at CatStrand, New Galloway, DG7 3RN. Planned tours and pick up & drop off points are as follows:
Saturday, 25 May
Yellow Route Tour - Pick-up Newton Stewart
Purple/Brown Route Tour - Pick-up Castle Douglas
Sunday, 26 May
Orange/Purple Route Tour - Pick-up Castle Douglas
Green/Brown Route Tour - Pick-up Dumfries
Monday, 27 May
Blue Route Tour - Pick-up Castle Douglas
Red Route Tour - Pick-up Dumfries
Tickets cost £10 per person and can be booked through CatStrand, New Galloway. Call 01644 420374. For more information call Spring Fling on 01387 213 218 or email email@example.com
Friends of Spring Fling will receive a 10% discount.
Spring Fling Bike Rides
Spring Fling rides will take place on Saturday 25 and Monday 27 May.
On Saturday 25 May the bike ride will leave Barnsoul at 10am for Kirkpatrick Durham (lunch there in the Village Hall), returning to Barnsoul via Glenkiln and the famous statues - an easy 22 mile route.
On Monday 27th May we will be offering two rides, a 50 mile round trip to Kirkcudbright and a 35 mile ride to Moniaive, both starting from Barnsoul at 9:30am. Both Kirkcudbright and Moniaive offer a splendid variety of studios and good eating spots. For more details of the rides please contact Mike Gray by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 07751 978563.
All riders are welcome and we take an easy pace on the shorter rides, but please contact the organisers to check details prior to joining any of the rides.
Organised by Galloway Holidays, the ever-popular leisurely Sunday walking tour is sure to invigorate and inspire.
- Starting Time and Location – Sunday, 26 May. Gather 1.30pm for 1.40pm start from outside Old Smugglers Inn in Auchencairn.
- Route - Visit the studios of Jennie Ashmore, Trevor Leat and Janet O’Donnell in and around Auchencairn and include a walk to Red Haven Bay and Torr Point.
- Terrain - Paths and grass field.
- Walks Grade - Moderate.
- Clothing - Sturdy footwear and outdoor clothing to suit weather conditions.
- Distance - 4.5 miles.
For details contact Robin Hogg, Galloway Holidays (Walking and Cycling Holidays). Call 01556 502979 or email email@example.com
Notes for editors
● Spring Fling is ideal for a day trip or for a short break – with lots of delightful small towns, villages and superb coastal areas to stay and enjoy.
● Studios are open daily 10.30am to 5pm during the event and are free to visit.
● The Spring Fling Fringe includes a range of evening events and activities for visitors to enjoy when the studios are closed. These include everything from classical music to a masterclass in artisan pizza making.
● Finding the route: A fold-out map will be available which shows the studios and the fringe locations. There are also seven suggested coloured routes to follow – each provides a great day-long tour of studios and super countryside.
● Smartphone app: An updated smartphone app can be downloaded for free so visitors can plot their own routes – choosing where they want to visit by area, name of artist or the type of work they produce.
● Spring Fling is a Community Interest Company. The core event is funded by Dumfries & Galloway Council. The Springboard Project is funded by The Dumfries and Galloway LEADER Programme and The Holywood Trust. Additional projects are funded by Creative Scotland and The Galloway Association of Glasgow. The Trigony House Hotel are the 2013 Prize Draw sponsors.
● To find out more visit www.spring-fling.co.uk
● Contact Matthew Shelley on 07786 704299 or at MJHShelley@hotmail.co.uk
● Free-to-use pictures are available on request.