Modern Heritage Craft 2015
Spring Fling | Modern Heritage Craft Project 2015
Spring Fling has been supported by The Holywood Trust and The Heritage Lottery Fund to give young people in the region the opportunity to work with some of Dumfries and Galloway’s most talented heritage crafts people. The Modern Heritage Craft Project will run in 2014 and 2015 giving up to twenty 15-25 year olds the chance to create contemporary functional objects.
What is the project?
A chance for two groups of young people to be tutored intensively for 10 days by a professional craft maker, to learn heritage craft skills, and to make at least one contemporary functional object which will be exhibited as part of Spring Fling 2015.
Who is it for?
15 – 25 year olds from Dumfries and Galloway
What is heritage craft, a craft maker, and what do you mean by a contemporary functional object?
Craft makers work with their hands and using tools, machinery and technology to make (usually) wearable or usable objects such as jewellery, clothes, shoes, furniture, pots, bowls and hats. They use materials such as metal, wood, glass, plastic, fabric, leather and clay. Some makers use traditional techniques and machinery, some use cutting edge new technology, and may use a combination. Have a look at http://www.stevekenward.com/Made-Not-Manufactured for examples.
Example of 2014 particiapnt:
Who are the two professional makers? (And where are they based?)
1. Amanda Simmons, Glassmaker, Corsock.
Rosebank, Corsock, near Castle Douglas. DG7 3DN.
2. Shona Guthrie, Jeweller, Dumfries.
Solway House, The Crichton, Dumfries. DG1 4AT.
What will be created?
The participants will discuss with the artists what they will make in the time available.
How many places are there?
There are three places to work with Amanda and six to work with Shona.
When will the workshops happen?
The final dates will be decided between the makers and the participants but ideally they will take place between February and mid-April so that the work can be shown at the exhibition (16 April – 13 June). Spring Fling will help negotiate these dates with school, college or your workplace if necessary.
Where will the work be exhibited?
We have agreed that the finished work will be exhibited at Designs Gallery in Castle Douglas. The exhibition will run from 16 May to 13 June.
How long will the workshops last?
The artists and young people will agree on the timing of their workshops.
What will happen when?
Call out for young people Nov 2014 – Jan 2015
Deadline Friday 30 January 2015
Selection of young people February 2015
Feb – Apr Workshops
16 April – 13 June Opening / Private View
12 or 13 June (tbc) Closing event including showing of the Modern Heritage Craft film
What else is involved?
We are producing a book and a film of the project and you can see a taster of the film here. https://vimeo.com/110257569 Our photographer will also take professional shots of your final work for your portfolio.
How can you be involved?
1. Personal Statement: outlining why you want to take part, what your aspirations are, what school/college you attend (if relevant), and where you live – no more than one A4 page in a word document
2. Examples of artwork created in the past, e.g. scanned drawings, photographs of 2D or 3D work etc.
3. A note of which maker you would like to work with, Amanda or Shona, or let us know if you have no preference.
What will you need to organise?
1. Each young person will need to organise to be out of school/college/work for 10 days (2 blocks of 5 days) – we can help with the negotiation of this with teachers/ tutors/employers.
2. Each young person will need to organise travel – we have a budget to contribute to travel costs and can help with the organisation of travel but ideally you would be able to get to the studio yourself.
Would you like to know more?
Friday 30 January 2015
Find out More
Spring Fling Website www.spring-fling.co.uk
Spring Fling Artists Profiles http://www.spring-fling.co.uk/artists
2014 Brochure http://www.spring-fling.co.uk/brochure
What is Spring Fling?
Scotland’s nationally acclaimed visual art and craft open studios event for professional artists and makers. It happens each year in May for three days across the whole of Dumfries and Galloway. In 2015 Spring Fling will run over the weekend of 23 – 25 May.